Your Questions Answered
When you’re looking for student accommodation for the year ahead, there’s always lots of questions. We want to help answer those questions – so we rounded up all the things we get asked most often and listed them here for you. If there’s anything else that we haven’t covered – just drop us a message or give us a call and we’ll be happy to help.

You know it has a quality mark that meets a standard through our Accreditation Scheme so your mind can be at ease when choosing your accommodation to make sure it’s the right one for you.

Enquire by visiting our website, submitting an online enquiry or visiting the office, and we’ll help you through the process.

If you can’t quite make your mind up or need some advice on what to choose, call in, our experienced property team would be happy to help!

We offer a wide range of different types of property to suit varying budgets.

We have everything you might need, from studios to houses, house shares to purpose-built blocks.

You can book a viewing in store at our lettings office, over the phone, or by filling out an online viewing request form

Your guarantor is a person who agrees to pay your rent if you are unable to. Your guarantor should be over 18 years of age. They should be in full time employment and a homeowner and/or renting accommodation. They will be asked to submit a form to prove they are eligible.

If you are unable to provide a guarantor Lincoln Students' Union has established a relationship with Housing Hand, a company that offer a fully comprehensive guarantor service available to all students, whether from the UK, Europe or Overseas and regardless of nationality. It is open to new students who haven't yet enrolled at the University of Lincoln, as well as those in the 2nd year and beyond for individual or joint tenancies. This service is discounted to Lincoln students. To find out more visit Housing Hand

No, we do not charge a security deposit at the start of your tenancy.

In most cases, there are no up-front fees with Lincoln SU Lettings. Although there may be times that a landlord will ask for a ‘booking fee’ which then becomes part of your first month’s rent.

Yes. It is normal to sign a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST) which will commit you to a fixed period of time whereby you will be responsible for the rent payments. This makes it crucial that you (and your co-signers) are absolutely sure about going ahead with committing to a property before you sign.

If you need advice about tenancy agreements and your commitments, you can get impartial advice from our Advice Centre.

All our student properties include utility bills (gas, electric, and water) and broadband within the rent payment.

Your property is ‘exempt’ from council tax if it’s only occupied by full-time university or college students. Student halls of residence are automatically exempt.

If your property isn’t exempt, some people, including full-time students, are ‘disregarded’. This means the council tax is calculated as if you don’t live there. This might mean that whoever does have to pay the council tax can get a discount.

You’re a full-time student for council tax purposes if your course:

  • lasts at least 1 calendar or academic year for at least 24 weeks out of the year, and
  • normally involves at least 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week during term time
  • Landlords make sure their buildings are insured, but tenants must take out insurance for their own belongings, so it’s important that you take out contents insurance.

    It is very difficult to change your mind once you have signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST). It is so important that you are completely sure that you are making the right decision before you sign any agreements. Our Wait to Rent Campaign explains the reasons why there is no rush when it comes to committing to a new tenancy agreement.

    It would be helpful if you could let us know as soon as you are 100% sure. By informing us we will ensure that your property is removed from our marketing list for the following year.

    We are a dedicated letting service for University of Lincoln students only.

    Please speak to one our trained advisors within our Advice Centre for options for Family accommodation, please contact [email protected] or pop in and see them in the SU Advice Centre.

    We hope that you are 100% satisfied with the service we give you every step of the way, and if our standards fall below this at any point, please let us know and we will solve any issues for you as fast and effectively as possible. You can get in touch with us through our contact form or you can speak to one of our team, who will be more than happy to deal with your problem.

    You can find our full complaints procedure here

    Get In Touch